Get the POWER of Belonging brochure.
The benefits of belonging to MNA
MNA is the largest and most effective union and professional association for registered nurses in Michigan. Since 1904, we have been providing vital resources and support for our local bargaining unit members to collectively advocate for themselves and their patients.
Among the key benefits that MNA members enjoy are:
Power at the bargaining table
MNA has a proven record of securing some of the best contracts in the country.With support from professional staff, MNA members negotiate strong collective bargaining agreements that protect their pay and benefits, improve workplace conditions and strengthen nurses’ ability to provide safe, quality care.
MNA contracts have included innovative provisions such as enforceable staffing ratios, disability coverage, lift teams, bonus systems, restrictions on mandatory overtime and increases in differential pay.
A say in your workplace and your practice
Through their collective bargaining agreements, MNA members have a voice in the care they provide and their working conditions. Your union voice helps create a safer, more rewarding workplace.
Protection from unjust discipline and termination
MNA contracts include strict protections for members’ rights, including professional MNA representation if needed. Unlike nurses who have not formed a union, you cannot be fired without just cause.
A strong voice at the Capitol
MNA members and staff actively lobby for pro-nurse legislation such as safe staffing ratios and workplace violence prevention measures.
MNA provides high-quality CE opportunities for free or at reduced cost to members. CEUs are available online, in the Michigan Nurse and at workshops.
Unique access to timely, relevant information
We keep you up-to-date on issues and trends affecting you as a registered nurse through:
- The MNA website (minurses.org), MNA’s email updates, and our magazine, the Michigan Nurse.
- Staff council newsletters.
Opportunities to make a difference
Members have opportunities to develop their leadership skills through elected and appointed positions at the bargaining unit, state and national levels.
MNA members can take advantage of the following financial benefits:
- Auto and homeowners insurance at an 8% discount from Auto-Owners, 800/968-4929
- Long-term care insurance up to 5% less from John Hancock, 989-799-1500.
- Hertz Car Rental: discounted rates and car upgrades by providing CDP #1255572, 800/654-2210.
- Budget Rent A Car: discounted rates using corporate discount number S216911. Call 800/527-0700 for reservations.
- Mortgage discounts through Union Plus Mortgage Program, 1-877-UNION 54, or 313/595-6374.
- Estate planning services at a 15% discount through White, Schneider, Young and Chiodini, PC. Call 517/347-7219.
- Union Plus AT&T Wireless Discounts: Save 10% off the regular monthly rate for individual and family wireless cell phone plans, plus additional savings on cell phones and accessories.
For more information, contact the MNA Okemos office:
Phone: 888/MI-NURSE or 517/349-5640