Nominate a deserving nurse or and health care professional for an MNA Award. Awards are giving annually to recognize outstanding nursing practice and union leadership. Nominations are due annually by August 1.
- Nomination/Selection Procedures (PDF)
- Download the Awards Nomination Form (PDF) or submit the Nomination form online
DIVERSITY IN HEALTH CARE AWARD
Presented to an MNA member in recognition of significant contributions to diversity within MNA and the health care professions. A nominee must have demonstrated substantial impact toward the:
- Advancement of opportunities in health care to members of minority groups.
- Inclusion, retention, and advancement of underrepresented groups in health care professions.
- Advancement of human rights of health care workers and health care recipients.
EXCELLENCE IN NURSING PRACTICE AWARD
Presented to MNA members whose professional practice and achievements exemplify excellence in nursing. A nominee must:
- Have demonstrated excellence in nursing practice and commitment to the profession.
- Demonstrate leadership abilities in nursing practice.
- Promote effective interdisciplinary collaboration.
- Demonstrate patient advocacy.
- Demonstrate evidence-based nursing practice.
LABOR LEADER OF THE YEAR AWARD
Presented to both nurse and non-nurse members of MNA’s Local Bargaining Units (LBUs). Nominations are made by fellow bargaining unit members. A nominee must:
- Demonstrate commitment to their health care field through demonstrated commitment to excellence in their individual practice.
- Actively participate in programs, committees and/or projects that promote the message and mission of the Michigan Nurses Association.
- Function as an active leader within the local staff council through past or present elected office and committee participation.
CHERYL L. JOHNSON, RN LABOR LEGACY AWARD
This life time achievement award recognizes a registered nurse who is a member, or a retired member, of an MNA Local Bargaining Unit (LBU). Nominations are made by fellow bargaining unit members. A nominee must have distinguished themselves through:
- Demonstrated lifelong, continual commitment to professional nursing via individual practice competency and continuing educational growth.
- Active participation throughout their career in nursing programs, committees and/or projects that promote the message and mission of the Michigan Nurses Association.
- Strong advocacy for nurses’ rights through a voice and representation in the workplace.
- Passionate leadership within their LBU and at the state level.
NURSE HERO AWARD
Presented to a Michigan registered nurse in recognition of their heroism (may be a non-member).
OUTSTANDING CONTRIBUTION TO MNA AWARD
Recognizes an MNA LBU member who has made outstanding contributions to the goals and programs of MNA. The nominee must have:
- Actively participated in MNA for several years at the LBU level.
- Made significant contributions to the strengthening and/or growth of MNA.
- Demonstrated leadership in the successful resolution of complex or difficult issues faced by MNA.
POLITICAL NURSE ACTIVIST AWARD
Presented to an MNA member who has made significant contributions to nursing practice and health policy through political and legislative activity. A nominee must have:
- Promoted the nursing profession in political and health care arenas through demonstrated involvement in the legislative/political activities of MNA.
- Advanced the knowledge of nurses, politicians, and policy makers concerning nursing’s contributions to health care.
- Demonstrated leadership at the local, state or national levels.
- Promoted the effectiveness of nursing’s role in the provision of health care services.
- Served as a mentor and role model to other nurses in the political process.
- Advanced nursing’s legislative agenda through grassroots activity.
MICHIGAN NURSES HALL OF FAME
The Michigan Nurses Hall of Fame has been established to recognize nurses, both living and deceased, who have made a lasting contribution to patient care and the nursing profession in Michigan. Individuals, as well as organizations and entities that have contributed and supported nursing in Michigan, may be inducted into the Hall of Fame. Nominators should review the Hall of Fame Criteria and submit the Hall of Fame Nomination Form no later than August 1.
The 2019 MNA award recipients and Michigan Hall of Fame inductees will be recognized at the MNA Awards Dinner on Friday, October 11 at the Boyne Mountain Resort in Boyne Falls.
Submit award nominations online or by mail, email or fax to Carol Feuss.
Michigan Nurses Association
2310 Jolly Oak Road
Okemos, MI 48864